Estado Mayor Eléctrico
Decree No. 2.241 of February 18, 2016, issued by the President of the Republic, was published in Official Gazette No. 40.855 of February 24, 2016 (the “Decree”). The Decree implemented the Presidential Commission of the Estado Mayor Eléctrico and established a group of measures intended for the saving and efficient use of electric energy.
The Decree established the following:
1. All the agencies and entities of the National Public Administration must execute plans in order to reduce by at least thirty percent (30%) their electric energy consumption, as from the entry into force of the Decree, taking the consumption of the same month of the preceding year as a reference.
2. Up to the time when a new oral or written order is issued, a special work schedule is established for the agencies and entities of the National Public Administration, from 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The sections or offices of service to the public, the sectors and services considered to be of an essential nature, as well as the personnel of high level and trust, are excluded from the application of the Decree.
The highest authorities of the agencies and entities of the Public Administration will determine the offices or sections under their responsibility that are considered sectors or services of an essential nature and the personnel of high level and trust. In this connection, the provision of key public services such as health, banking and finance, telecommunications, among others, will be assured.
3. The Ministry of the Popular Power for Electric Energy is instructed, so that all the necessary measures will be taken in order to increase thermolectric generation nationwide, thus reducing the use of hydroelectric energy during critical times. Likewise, the plan of replacement with energy-saving lightbulbs and high-performance and low-energy-consumption equipment is to be executed in any of its forms.
The public and private sectors, with the purpose of executing the energy saving plan, are under the obligation to reduce the consumption of energy in the percentage established in the legal provisions on electric energy matters in force and to install and/or use high-performance and low-energy-consumption equipment.
4. The Estado Mayor Eléctrico, in coordination with the Ministry of the Popular Power for Communication and Information, is instructed to prepare a plan of information through the media in relation to the negative effects of the weather phenomenon “El Niño” and about the efficient use of energy and saving of electric power.
5. The states and municipalities, as well as the agencies and entities assigned to them, in the exercise of their duty to act under the principles of cooperation and co-responsibility in the achievement of the purposes of the State, must reduce their electric energy consumption in the terms established in the Decree.
6. The public and private sectors are exhorted to obligatorily execute the plan for energy saving and efficient and rational use of electric energy.
The Decree will become effective upon its publication in the Official Gazette.
In order to access the Decree, please click here.
“NOTE: THIS INFORMATION SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE ON ANY SPECIFIC MATTER AND ITS CONTENT ARE INTENDED AS A MANAGEMENT ALERT AS TO CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS IN VENEZUELA, ANY SPECIFIC LEGAL QUESTIONS REGARDING THE POSSIBLE APPLICATION OF NEW OR PROPOSED LEGISLATION TO PARTICULAR SITUATIONS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO TRAVIESO EVANS ARRIA RENGEL & PAZ.”