Change in Time Zone
Decree No. 2.301 of April 15, 2016 (Decree No. 14 in the frame of the Economic Emergency), issued by the Presidency of the Republic, was published in Official Gazette No. 6.224 Extraordinary of April 18, 2016 (the “Decree”). The Decree changes the time zone in all of the territory of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (“Venezuela”).
The Decree establishes the following:
1. The legal time is changed in Venezuela. The legal time will be the one equivalent to that of the coordinated universal time minus four hours (UTC -4).
2. Venezuela’s official time will move forward thirty (30) minutes; this involves the use of the time zone corresponding to minus four hours in relation to Greenwich Meridian (UTC -4).
3. The national, state, and municipal authorities will see that public service clocks record said time change.
4. Natural and legal persons in all of the country are under the obligation to take precautions in order to ensure the continuity of the activities in all economic sectors of national life and prevent interruptions in the provision of services and in the opportune availability of goods in all of the national territory.
5. The Decree will become effective on May 1, 2016 at 02:30 a.m., which, for all legal and official purposes, will be immediately computed as 03:00 a.m. of said May 1, 2016.
6. According to the Organic Law on States of Emergency, the measure of change in the legal time will be ratified in Cabinet Council in order for it to remain in effect after the end of the period of time established in Decree No. 2.184, published in Official Gazette No. 6.214 Extraordinary of January 14, 2016, which declared the State of Economic Emergency in all of the national territory.
In order to access the Decree, please click here.
“NOTE: THIS INFORMATION SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE ON ANY SPECIFIC MATTER AND ITS CONTENT ARE INTENDED AS A MANAGEMENT ALERT AS TO CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS IN VENEZUELA, ANY SPECIFIC LEGAL QUESTIONS REGARDING THE POSSIBLE APPLICATION OF NEW OR PROPOSED LEGISLATION TO PARTICULAR SITUATIONS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO TRAVIESO EVANS ARRIA RENGEL & PAZ.”